- 1967 – Obtained Bachelor of Law degree Auckland University; Admitted as a barrister and solicitor the same year;
- 1967-1968 – Employed as litigation lawyer by (now) Kensington Swan;
- 1968-1970 – Practised law in London;
- 1971-1988 – Litigation lawyer and then litigation partner in Kensington Swan; developed prominent role in practice management;
- 1989 – Commenced own legal practice as a general practitioner in firm now known as O’Brien Ward;
- 1989-2013 – Engaged in the broad range of work of a busy general legal practice. See work experience;
- 2003 – Appointed to LEADR panel of mediators. See mediation practice history;
- 2012 – Appointed to the AMINZ mediators’ panel;
- 2006-2013 – Chairman of the Board of de Paul House at Northcote, Auckland.
- 2014 – Accredited for FDR (Family Dispute Resolution) by LEADR and AMINZ.